Friday, August 6, 2010

Why I Support Prop 8 And No, I'm Not A Bigot

The whole gay marriage thing has reared its ugly head again. Chief US District Judge Vaughn Walker, while nullifying the will of the people of California, struck down Proposition 8 that said marriage was a union between a man and a woman. In his 136 page ruling, Walker wrote that Prop 8 "prevents California from fulfilling its constitutional obligation to provide marriages on an equal basis", and my personal favorite, "Moral disapproval alone is an improper basis on which to deny rights to gay men and lesbians."


*SIGH!* Here we go again. I know that my explanation is going to fall on the deaf ears of the 2+2=5 Progressivevik crowd, but let's give it a try for the millionth, zillionth time. Proposition 8 has nothing to do with hating homosexuals. It has everything to do with preserving religious liberty and not having political views that are alien to American culture shoved down the throats of We The People.

I, like most rational people, couldn't give a crap less about what two consenting adults do in their bedrooms. It's none of my business. However, I resent the Big Mommy Regime telling me "Forget that nonsense you learned in Hebrew school. We know better than God." Last time I checked, The Torah, The New Testament, and The Koran all say that homosexuality is a sin, and marriage is between a man and a woman only. By changing God's rules, the state then becomes bigger than God. Call me crazy and off my meds, but I don't think that's a swell idea, do you ?

Another thing to consider is this: If Proposition 8 and all other laws like it are struck down, rabbis, priests, pastors, and mullahs can be forced to perform gay marriages, regardless of what their religious views are. In theory, they can then be sued for practicing their religion. At that point, religious freedom will be destroyed in America. I don't know about you, but the last thing I want is the Big Mommy Regime telling me how to interpret God's will. That's between me and The Big Conservative Upstairs. We don't need a middle man.

One thing I do support is civil unions that gives the same legal status to gay couples as heterosexual couples. I fully support the idea of gay partners being able to will their belongings to each other, being able to grant each other power of attorney, etc. To deny anyone of those rights is wrong. However, the word marriage has a cultural and religious meaning that the government has no right or authority to screw around with.

For the Progressiveviks who a reading this and for those who can't wait to post this column all over the Internet as an example of "Right Wing Extremist Hate" , I'd like to introduce you to someone who shares the same view as me on this subject:


CHAIRMAN OBAMA, PRETEND THERE'S A FOREIGN MONARCH STANDING IN FRONT OF YOU AND TAKE A BOW!


God help us all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it worth it?

Okay here we go.

Judge Walker explicitly wrote in the ruling that no one could force any religion to perform gay marriages; the truth is that some churches currently do, some don't, and that will never change.

Absolutely Nobama said...

The judge can't legislate that or stop any lawsuits.

Nice try, Progressivevik.