Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Bummer On So Many Levels

Well, True Believers, we have another set back to deal with.

US District Judge Susan Bolton, who just happens to be a Clinton nominee, has kicked the Arizona immigration law in the groin by seriously hampering law enforcement's ability to enforce it. "Requiring Arizona law enforcement officials and agencies to determine the immigration status of every person who is arrested burdens lawfully-present aliens because their liberty will be restricted while their status checked," said Bolton as she legislated from the bench.

Yes, I said it. Bolton legislated from the bench.

No, I'm not being a sore loser. (As a Libertarian, I'm lukewarm to the law in the first place. Giving the government, whether it's federal, state, county, or local, any extra power makes me rather skittish. A quick perusal of history will show that extra powers granted to governments will eventually be used against the people the powers were enacted to "protect". See the Patriot Act for further details.) However, according to the Associated Depressed, Bolton went on to say that Arizona's immigration law would divert federal resources away from other priorities. No, this isn't Senator Bolton talking. No, this isn't Congressman Bolton or President Bolton talking, this is Judge Bolton talking. Now, I'm not a legal genius like Chairman Obama or Steadman Eric Holder, but I know political gibberjabber when I hear it. Why would a judge be talking about diverting resources ? Call me crazy and off my meds, but shouldn't Bolton have made her decision on the Constitutional merits of the federal government's case ?

Frankly, this sort of brazen legislation from the bench scares me a hell of lot more than the fence jumpers do. Assuming this decision isn't overturned, it means we have amnesty for illegal aliens without a vote in Congress. If the states can't enforce immigration laws and the federal government refuses to do it, you have amnesty. It's that simple. When you have laws being written without the legislative process you have a fascist dictatorship. I don't know about you, but I'd be hard pressed to call this "Change We Can Believe In."

God help us all.

No comments: