Thursday, December 31, 2009

What Could Have Been...

For many of us, 2009 will go down as the year "The Republic Began To Crumble", to Obama and his cronies it will go down as a year of "Missed Opportunity".

Barack, you could have been a contender.

Let's think back to the campaign for a moment (Don't worry, my wife has removed any instruments from my desk that I could use to injure myself.) and let's think of Candidate Obama before he morphed into Chairman Obama. The guy had it all--A winning smile, charisma that Third World dictators envied, youth, and rabid, brainless followers. By the time the election rolled around, George Washington would have lost to Obama by three points. Take off the partisan glasses for a second and you'll realize that I'm right. The guy even had Newt Gingrich wanting to give him a chance.

Then, all of a sudden, the bottom fell out.

I don't know where Chairman Obama lost his compass. Maybe it was smashing the Stimulus Bill through CONgress. Maybe it was all of those questions about how involved Rahm Emmanuel was in the attempted sale of  his old seat in the Imperial Senate. Maybe he got a head rush bowing to the king of Saudi Arabia, but somewhere, Obama lost it.

I may not agree with anything Chairman Obama has said or done, but I find myself extremely disappointed. In the bottom of my triglyceride-laden heart, I really hoped Obama would be different. Maybe he would refuse to sign a bill with earmarks. Maybe he would stand up to the greedy lobbyists. Maybe just maybe he would change my mind and I would at least believe I wouldn't live to see the destruction of our beloved Republic. Maybe, just maybe, this would be the guy to bring even a glimmer of respect back to Washington.

Didn't happen, did it ?

Obama said no earmarks, then he signs the Omnibus bill with 9000 of them. Obama said no lobbyists, and he attempts to get Tom Daschle, lobbyist extraordinaire, appointed as HHS secretary. He promised transparency in the Obamacareless debate, and yet we have Harry Reid and others of his questionable ilk cutting secret deals like the Louisiana Purchase and the Cornhusker Kickback. Obama brought change alright, we went from sleazy to Sodom and Gamorrah. I'd be hard pressed to call that change we could all believe in.

Don't worry Presidente, there's still hope. You are at crossroads--you can either be remembered as the President who saved the Republic or you can be remembered as the worst President we've ever had (not since Carter, mind you, the worst ever. We're talking about about you being the punchline of jokes for years to come on the soup kitchen lines after your mistakes destroy our economy.)

All you have to do, Presidente is warm up your teleprompter, get behind a podium and say the following :

"My fellow Americans, I know all of you have been following the health care debates, and I understand your concerns. That is why I am officially announcing my intention to veto this bill. Make no mistake about it, our health care system is in trouble, and make no mistake, this is not a victory for the insurance companies or the opponents of reform. [Hey, you gotta let the guy save some face, right ?] I, like the rest of you, was very disappointed  in the process that was undertaken in this legislative endeavor. I have sworn an oath to defend our Constitution and that is an oath I take very seriously, as should Congress. Somewhere, we have lost our way and we need to regenerate this process. [You have absolutely no idea how hard it is to write the way this guy talks. It's stretching my considerable talent to the limit.]

When I took office, I promised transparency and accountability and so far, they've been buzzwords. No longer. I urge Congress to start over and let's give the American people the change I was elected to deliver."

If Chairman Obama were to do that, all of his sins would be forgiven and washed away. The Tea Parties would stop. There would be actual confidence in the system again. The economy would come back to life, like St. Lazarus as would his anemic approval rating. It would be, dare I say it, a "Morning in America" moment.

Ball's in your court, Presidente, what are you going to do ?






No comments: