Monday, January 17, 2011

Blood Libel ? You Betcha!

Before I begin this column, I'd like to make a declaration: I am Jewish and quite proud of it. I love bagels and lox. I complain when I'm too close to a vent. I use my hands when I talk. My favorite phrase is: "Let me speak to the manager". Believe me, I'm reminded I'm Jewish every time I look down when I take a whiz, if you catch my meaning. I am also a Levite, which means I can open the Ark of the Covenant without melting like Toht did in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Needless to say, I'm 100% Jewish.




And guess what, True Believer, I agree with Sarah Palin. She was the victim of a blood libel during the aftermath of the Giffords Shooting in Tucson where she and other Conservatives were accused of inciting murder by many members of the Professional Left.



A "blood libel", broken down to brass tacks, is an absurd accusation of murder. The term first came into being during the Middle Ages when Jews were accused of killing Christian children to use their blood in baking matzoh. Normally, I'd follow the previous sentence with a snarky remark about the stupidity of Europeans, but blood libels have reared their ugly heads in the US, the most famous being the Massena Blood Libel in New York in 1928. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massena_blood_libel ) Anyhoo, the main point is the fact that blood libels are monuments to the stupidity of man.



So when Sarah Palin said this, she was right:





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------





"But, especially within hours of a tragedy unfolding, journalists and pundits should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible."





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Naturally, the left doesn't like it when Conservatives have the unmitigated gall to defend themselves. So the Anti Defamation League, the worst of the offenders, had this whine to go with their cheese:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



"Still, we wish that Palin had not invoked the phrase “blood-libel” in reference to the actions of journalists and pundits in placing blame for the shooting in Tucson on others. While the term “blood-libel” has become part of the English parlance to refer to someone being falsely accused, we wish that Palin had used another phrase, instead of one so fraught with pain in Jewish history."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------





So, in other words, despite the fact that the smear against Sarah Palin and other Conservatives was indeed a blood libel, that little fact should be thrown into nearest Memory Hole according to the finger sniffers at the Anti-Defamation League. Never mind the fact that this would have been a bonafide teachable moment about falsely accusing others of violence, the ADL decided to become the All Democrat League. They might as well have called Palin a shicksa while they were at it.



Funny how the Torah has a different view on blood libels than the ADL:





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------





"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."--- Exodus 20:16





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Here's my point, folks: History has a lot to teach us if we let it.



(By the way, I'm fairly certain this will be he final time Alan Dershowitz and I will have any sort of common ground.)



God help us all.

No comments: